Personal Pronouns — Prepositional Prononus

Personal Pronouns — Prepositional Pronouns


Table of Prepositional Pronouns


singular plural
- me nosotros - us (mas. and fem.)
nosotras - us (fem. only)
ti - you (familiar) vosotros - you (familiar - mas. and fem.)
vosotras - you (familiar - fem. only)
él - him
ella - her
usted - you (formal)
ello - it (neuter)
ellos - them
ellas - them
ustedes - you (formal)

Uses of Prepositional Pronouns


With the exception of (in place of yo) and ti (in place of ), the pronouns used as objects of prepositions have the same forms as the subject pronouns. However, the meanings are different. Direct and indirect object pronouns (me, te, le, etc.) are used only in connection with a verb, never after prepositions.

Este abrigo es para él.
This coat is for him.

Este libro es para mí, no para ti.
This book is for me, not for you.

Hoy voy con él; mañana iré con ella.
Today I am going with him; tomorrow I'll go with her.

Compré esta revista para usted.
I bought this magazine for you.

Viven cerca de nosotros.
They live near us.

Estudiamos con ellos.
We study with them.

Entramos en él.
We enter it (masculine).

NOTE: When and ti are used as objects of the preposition con (with), they are joined together with con to form a single word that ends in -go.

Él quiere ir conmigo al baile.
He wants to go with me to the dance.

Prefiero ir contigo.
I prefer to go with you.

Ella va conmigo.
She is going with me.

The prepositional forms are often used with the preposition a in addition to the direct and indirect object pronouns for emphasis and, in the third person, also for clearness. In the case of usted(es), it is more polite to use the prepositional form in addition to the object pronoun (last example).

Me enseña a mí el cuadro.
He shows me the picture.

Le doy a él el dinero.
I give him the money.

Le doy a ella el dinero.
I give her the money.

Le doy a Ud. el dinero.
I give you the money.

Les dice a ellos (ellas) la verdad.
He tells them the truth.

Les dice a Uds. la verdad.
He tells you the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!